With just over one month left until school starts and some school systems unsure about how to bring back large numbers of students, HudsonWay Immersion School, located in Stirling, NJ, and Midtown West, NYC, is preparing for a year in which students can move ahead academically during a uniquely challenging time.
Here are 10 reasons why this might be the year to consider HudsonWay Immersion School, a private Mandarin and Spanish immersion school for students age 2 through Grade 8 school many consider “a gem in the city” and “one of the best-kept secrets in NJ."
1. Students can be on-site 5 full days per week– Each location has about 100 students in a facility that can accommodate over 225 students, enabling students to safely social distance at 6 feet, for the full day – 5 days per week.
2. Flexibility of onsite or remote– students can select to learn on-site or remotely by trimester. This provides maximum flexibility given the uncertainty.
3. Considered a micro-school– with enrollment of about 100 students and class sizes averaging 10 students, closures due to positive cases of COVID-19 are less likely than at larger schools.
4. Safety protocols— HWIS has invested in several measures in support of a safe environment such as HEPA filters in each classroom, contactless temperature checking, antibacterial mats, electrostatic sprayers, and ISSA (International Sanitary Supply Association) certification for cleaning staff.
5. Teachers are experienced and trained for remote learning–feedback this spring was very positive on teachers’ abilities to engage students in remote learning – even students as young as 2 years of age in a second language! All the specials continued to be taught – events such as virtual science fair, field days and field trips continued until the end of the school year.
6. Academically rigorous program–the HWIS curriculum is academically strong with median ERB (Educational Records Bureau) assessment results for elementary Grade 3-5 students at 92 for English and math.
7. Language immersion—HWIS is a full immersion program where young students spend the majority of their day learning in a second language. Not only are they proficient in English, they become bilingual and biliterate in Mandarin or Spanish which sets them apart from their monolingual peers for admissions to top-tier independent schools or eventually in college. Students without prior background in the language can become bilingual after one year in the immersion program.
8. Differentiated learning—smaller classes provide differentiated learning and opportunities for individualized attention. This may benefit students who may have fallen behind during the past school year.
9. Diversity—the HWIS student body is racially diverse. Students develop an appreciate of diverse cultures and perspectives when learning in another language.
10. Financial aid and COVID-19 relief-—When compared to other top independent schools in the area, HudsonWay has a tuition 40% below other schools. They also offer sibling discounts, COVID -19 relief and financial aid.
To learn more about HudsonWay Immersion School, register to attend one of the virtual Q&A information sessions with the founder, educational leaders and admissions advisors or sign up for a private one-on-one consultation here.