International Admissions

HWIS is uniquely supportive of international students given the commitment of the students, parents and school community to global experiences and learning.

HWIS students – have high levels of second language proficiency and cultural understanding.
HWIS parents – have strong commitment to cultural experiences, home stay and study abroad opportunities.
HWIS faculty – native speakers of Mandarin and Spanish, and English teachers with background in second language acquisition.
HWIS administration – strong commitment to building long-term and long-lasting bridges for the HWIS community.

HWIS is currently working with advisors to support a program to issue I-20 visas for elementary and middle school students for the 2023-2024 academic year.

Frequently Asked Questions

1Can my child attend HudsonWay Immersion School as an international student and in what grades?
Yes, HudsonWay Immersion School is currently undergoing a process to become certified and approved by the US Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) to issue I-20 visas. HWIS has a goal of admitting international students for the summer of 2023 and starting the academic year of 2023. We will accept students in preschool, elementary, up through middle school grade 7. Our program ends in Grade 8 thus we will not accept students in Grade 8 who can attend only one year.
2Will international study be beneficial for my child?
Yes, an international study program can develop the ability to work in multiple cultures, improve language skills, and develop international student and family relationships that can last for many years. By attending school with native English speakers as early as elementary or middle school your child will improve his/her English language skills, and U.S. culture adaptation which may improve her chances of high school and university acceptance.
3Can my child continue to learn in Mandarin or Spanish?
Yes, since core content is taught in both Mandarin and English or in both Spanish and English, students will learn language arts, math, science and social studies in both languages. This enables students to continue progressing in the home language while becoming very fluent in English. Can I travel to the US to live with my child while they attend school at HudsonWay? Yes, however, a parent would need to secure a separate adult visa.
4Where do international students live?
HudsonWay has families interested in the benefit of cultural exchange becoming host families. These families are committed to education and would meet the rigorous requirements to be a HWIS host family. For parents who wish to accompany their child and live with them while attending HudsonWay Immersion School, we can assist in finding an apartment or home nearby to rent.
5What are the steps in becoming an international student?
The student will need an F-1 visa which entitles the student to study in the U.S. temporarily. It is not an immigration visa. HudsonWay Immersion School will assist and guide the student along these steps: Students complete the international application to attend HudsonWay Immersion School. The student will submit supplemental materials (report cards, teacher recommendations and any standardized tests). The school will conduct a Zoom interview in the home language (Mandarin or Spanish) and in English if it is not possible to visit the school in person. If accepted, HudsonWay will issue an I-20. The student will apply to the US Embassy or Consulate with an application using DS-160 along with an interview in order to receive an F-1.
6What is the timeline associated with international admissions?
HudsonWay Immersion School is currently in the process of receiving SEVIS certification and being able to issue I-20 likely in the first or second quarter of 2023. Applications will be accepted through the summer of 2023 for the school year 2023-2024. Students must submit a decision regarding enrollment within 2 weeks of acceptance.
7What are the costs involved for international students?
Tuition for international students will run a few thousand dollars higher vs. that for domestic students to support the additional staffing and program coordination needed to support international students. International students in a homestay situation can be expected to pay an additional $1500-$2000 monthly. Proof of medical coverage is required prior to enrollment. The other additional fees such as for after school, trips, parent association fees, etc. are the same as for domestic students. There is no financial aid available for international students.
8Is the Chinese Embassy and Consulate nearby?
Yes, the Chinese Embassy and Consulate is a 10-minute walk from HudsonWay Immersion School located at 520 12th Avenue at 42nd Street. The consulate officials can take care of any questions or issues that might arise.
9What staffing is available to support international students?
We have native speakers of Mandarin and Spanish on our staff available to support with student counseling, housing, English language acquisition, high school placement, and exploration of New York and New Jersey metropolitan areas.
10What is the academic curriculum and language immersion program like at HudsonWay Immersion School?
HudsonWay Immersion School is nationally recognized and highly ranked in its academic approach to student learning with the study of content in two languages. The school has an accomplished team of educators with advanced degrees, and deploys a teaching and learning methodology that supports advanced cognitive development, creative problem solving, and high levels of biliteracy. We prepare students to Navigate the World.

To Apply to HudsonWay for international admissions, click here.