The mission of HudsonWay Immersion School is to develop intellectually curious and flexible thinkers with exemplary character, multicultural perspectives, and linguistic abilities to become meaningful global contributors.
The English explorer Henry Hudson, who provided inspiration for the name of our school, sought a passage from England to China via a route above the Arctic Circle. HudsonWay uses the mnemonic “ARCTIC TIE” to remember the 9 values important to HudsonWay Immersion School.
Accountability. We take responsibility for our individual and collective actions.
Respect. We value and celebrate all members of our community.
Community Service. We strive to make a difference, especially by providing our talents and means to the community at large.
Teamwork. We recognize the talents of our students, staff, and community and believe that we can accomplish more together than individually.
Integrity. We seek to do what is right and do what we say we are going to do.
Communication. We strive to listen, understand and communicate openly and clearly.
Transparency. We share information to enhance collaboration, cooperation, and collective decision-making.
Innovation. We foster creativity, encourage risk-taking, and continuously seek to improve ourselves and our school.
Excellence. We commit to doing our best work and pursuing excellence.
At a Glance
- Full immersion program
- Mandarin or Spanish
- Age 2 through Grade 8
- Stirling, NJ campus
- New York City (NYC) Midtown West campus
- Founded in 2005
- First Mandarin and Spanish immersion school in New York City
- 2’s – 100% target language
- 3’s and 4’s – 90% target language/ 10% English
- Kindergarten/Grade 1 – 80% target language/20% English
- Grade 2/Grade 3 – 70% target language/30% English
- Grade 4/Grade 5 – 50% target language/50% English
- Grades 6-8 – 40% target language/ 60% English
- 260+ day students
- Average elementary class size: 12
- Percentage of students who do not speak the target language at home: 80%
- Percentage of students who are exposed to a third language at home: 30%
- Day School Immersion: Mandarin/English or Spanish/English
- After School Language Program: Mandarin or Spanish
- Enrichment Classes: Chess, Robotics, Soccer and others
- Summer Camp: Language Immersion
- Half Day School: 8:30 am–12 pm
- Full Day School: 8:30 am–3:30 pm
- Extended Care:
7:30–8:20 am, 3:30–6:00 pm
- NY Preschool: 2–4 years old
- NJ Preschool: 2.5–4 years old
- Elementary, Grades K-5
- Middle School, Grades 6-8