HudsonWay Immersion School works with professionals in the areas of art, music, and PE to support our core academic program for full-time (attend 5 days/week) day school students. Students attend Specials so that they can learn from those who are active and specialize in these respective areas.
New Jersey Artists-in-Residence Program
Tien Jia See, our Teacher Assistant at the preschool level, will also serve as the Music AR for the preschool students in both linguistic cohorts. Tien Jia Laoshi has an MA in Music from the University of Buffalo. She taught in the Magic of Music Project in collaboration with SUNY Graduate School of Music and the Early Childhood Center.
Adam Shaber provides music instruction to our K+ students in both linguistic cohorts, facilitating guitar instruction and general music classes. In these classes, Adam hopes to inspire the students to continue to study music on their own. He has been playing music since he was six years old, playing a range of instruments from piano and guitar, to vocals, bass, clarinet, and saxophone. He has performed in concert, jazz, and rock bands, choirs, pit orchestras, and as a soloist, performing in the South Jersey area where he was born. Adam is a recent graduate of Mason Gross School of the Arts at Rutgers University where he earned his B.M. in Vocal Music Education and Jazz Guitar Performance. He is a certified NJ Teacher of Music.
Christine Hanaway Maloney has been teaching Yoga for over 15 years and is certified RYT 500 Yoga Alliance. She has taught in studios, health clubs, and schools, both in corporate settings and privately. She studied at the NYC Integral Yoga Institute and is certified to teach Prenatal Yoga, Yoga for Children, and Children with Special Needs.
In addition, Christine is a visual artist with a BFA from Parsons School of Design. She obtained her MFA from the University of London. She has taught art in the NYC public school system and she established an art program for dyslexic children.
Kinderdance International will supplement our physical education program.
- The Kindertots program is designed to develop gross motor skills movement creativity, physical development, tumbling skills and communication while learning their numbers, colors, shapes and songs.
- The Kindermotion program is a movement, dance and fitness program that is developmentally designed to enhance motor skills, physical development (strength, flexibility, coordination balance, cardio/stamina, general fitness and nutritional knowledge) and creative movement. The program focuses on movement exploration, self-esteem and self-confidence as it follows the NJ standards.
Ms. Chantelle is the program instructor. She has many years of dance training and teaching. She is the former Division Director and Dance Instructor at the Wyckoff School of Dance.
1. Music for K & Up – Monday and Tuesday (General Music on Mondays and Guitar on Tuesdays) with Ms. Carolina C. Andrade.Please note: This year, all K & Up children will take guitar lessons on Tuesdays. All K & Up students are required to purchase an acoustic guitar.
2. Music for Preschool – Monday and Tuesday with Tien Jia Laoshi
3. Yoga – Wednesday with Ms. Christine Maloney.
4. Art – Thursday with Ms. Christine Maloney
5. Dance with Kinderdance – Friday
Instructor’s name: Chantelle Zino
New York Artists-in-Residence Program
Jonathan Breton has performed both in ballet and musical theatre since the age of 16. Musical credits include Cats, A Chorus Line, Les Misérables, Hairspray and Roméo and Juliette. Jonathan danced for international companies and choreographed in Paris for 4 years for La Compagnie de l’Etoile, as well as for AZOTH Dance Theatre in NYC. Jonathan has been guest choreographer for musicals and dance and theatre companies in France, Europe, and in the USA. He has taught dance and movement from preschool to adults.
Chia-Ching Shen holds a doctoral degree from Florida State University with a focus in piano performance. As soloist and collaborative pianist, Dr. Shen has performed in Europe, Asia and the USA. Her recent concert performance includes Faculty Recital at Florida State University, performance with Wei-gang Li of the Shanghai Quartet at Princeton University, a concerto appearance with 3-E Youth Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra in Taipei, Taiwan. In 2012, Dr. Shen was appointed as Mandarin-Music Teacher in Hands On! – A Musical Experience. She developed a Pre-Kindergarten Music-Language Program curriculum, trained teachers, created small group-class lessons, and composed educational songs.
Eva Zhu hails from Shanghai, China and holds a visual arts degree from Queensboro Community College. She served as the Art Director and Head Teacher for the Art department at Planet Han Chinese School in Manhattan, New York. Her students learn Chinese language through art. Additionally, she supported teachers by creating school-wide art projects. She also taught art at Red, Yellow, Blue Art School in Flushing, Queens. Eva also tutored students using art as the vehicle for instruction in order to support her students in reading and math to make learning fun and hands-on. She loves children and supports language learning through the creative arts.
1. Music – Monday with Chia-Ching Shen
2. Music – Tuesday with Chia-Ching Shen
3. P.E- Wednesday with Jonathan Breton.
4. Dance- Thursday with Mr. Jonathan Breton
5. Art – Friday with Eva Zhu