HWIS at a Glance
First Mandarin and Spanish independent immersion school in the NY | NJ area
+Number of HWIS faculty—trained in, and deeply committed to, our mission and values
Number of years our students' language proficiency is ahead of other immersion students at the same grade level
%of our teachers who hold master’s degrees or higher
+Years of experience in operating a preschool through grade 5 program
%of students who began with no prior background in the target language
%of students who are fluent in a third language beside English and Mandarin or Spanish
%of students enrolled in our program for 4+ years testing as gifted
%students who are exposed to a third language at home
%of HWIS students admitted into top-tier, highly selective independent schools
HWIS. . .
- Is committed to developing highly experienced immersion educational leaders in the best practices in immersion.
- Is a member of the Asia Society’s Chinese Early Language Immersion Network (CELIN). Membership in this organization, which is by invitation only, is exclusive to leading Mandarin immersion programs.
- Achieves unprecedented Mandarin and Spanish proficiency levels. When compared to other immersion schools, our students surpass immersion benchmarks on the ACTFL proficiency scale.
- Leads in developing unique immersion camp programs abroad where children as young as age 5 travel abroad with their families to join local children in an immersion environment.
- Has an engaged, committed, and vibrant parent community.
- Achieves superior academic testing results of our grades 2–5 students despite less instructional time in English compared to traditional schools.
Learn More About Our Results
HWIS students consistently outperform students at gifted and talented public school programs and independent schools across all subject areas, at every grade level.